Leadership

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
-John Quincy Adams

Monday, June 1, 2009

Walk the Walk

For this week I think I am going to combine my favorite quote and the "Question Of The Week" into the same post. So, all you need do is list your own favorite quote from the chapter and answer the question in the same "comment".

Hopefully that makes sense...

"Actions trump words, and your values must be visible if they are to have an impact on those you lead... Your behavior as a leader - WHAT YOU DO - creates the environment in which the team functions." (pp 74-75)

It took me too long to realize that those I was striving to lead followed best when they saw in me an example worth following. Through HS and into college I thought that because of my position as long as I told people what needed to be done they would take my word for it and do it. Sometimes they did, but the more I was put into a position of leadership the more I realized the truth in the old adage "Your actions speak louder than your words". It was amazing to me to see that if I took the initiative and did what needed to be done to the best of my ability, those I was leading would usually do the same. However if I would merely tell those I was leading to do what needed to be done, they would only contribute the amount of effort they saw me putting in.

What I said had some impact, and what you say will too. Words can be powerful motivators, but without the actions to back them they are powerful for only a very short time. To have a lasting impact (ie throughout the season, or throughout the year) your actions must be something others can look to as an example.

So that brings me to my question...

In whatever arena you're going to be participating (you may have to answer this differently if you are involved in multiple venues) 1. What are two or three SPECIFIC GOALS you want those you are leading to achieve, and 2. what are some SPECIFIC ACTIONS that will help guide those you are leading to those goals?

Have a good week!

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment

Student Leaders Of JICHS

You have been chosen to serve in a capacity of leadership. This is both an honor and a responsibility. We hope you will take pride in the positions you have earned, and we want to help you realize your highest level of leadership potential. It is not our intention for this to be a rigorous or demanding course of your time and energy, but we do want to expose you to what real and genuine leadership is all about. We want to be an open door for your questions and an example you can follow. We say this not with an air of self righteousness or haughty pride, but with the humility that is tied to one whose every move is scrutinized (just as yours will be by your peers). We (all of us - you included) will fall, we will fail, but without trials and challenges can we have success or victory? To have the courage to face difficulty and the humility to accept responsibility, this is the foundation of leadership, and this is the mentality we ask you to have and seek to help you develop.
-Chris Lightfoot